Friday, January 13, 2012

Profanity In The Workplace - Is It Acceptable?

!9#: Profanity In The Workplace - Is It Acceptable?

I've noticed lately that more and more executives and employees are resorting to profanity in the workplace. I remember when not only was it unacceptable but it was just plain unprofessional to use curse words. You know the ones I am talking about. They start with 's' and 'd' and the big heavy four letter bomb that starts with 'f'. Why has it become more and more acceptable for workplace language to deteriorate? Are we really producing limited vocabulary professionals or am I alone in this quest for order, discipline and professionalism. Well, I asked a couple of my colleagues to gather their opinions on the matter and really find out if I was the one from another planet. Here is what they had to say:

"It depends on the work environment and who you are working for. I mean, I would not use that language with my boss, but I see other people do."

"Profanity is just unprofessional in the workplace."

"I don't see a problem with it as long as it gets my point across."

"You've got to keep up with the times. In the old days it was unacceptable, but now it is okay."

Many organizations have standards and guidelines for professional behavior, dress code and etiquette. Some maintain the prohibition of profane and obscene language, including it in their employee handbooks, while others find it acceptable. As James O'Connor, owner of Cuss Control Academy shares, "People judge you by the way you speak. You can only go so far if you look good but sound bad."

Words are tools that are used to express emotion and convey meaning. I believe there are many ways of self expression without resorting to profane and obscene language in the workplace. It is simply not good for business and damages internal communications within the workplace. Can you imagine the President of the United States being interviewed and resorting to profane language to make his point? How would your image of him change?

When an organization focuses on improving the lines of communication at work, gaining feedback and increasing employee engagement, language and the use of inappropriate language must be addressed.

As a personal example, one of my managers held a staff meeting the other day and on three separate occasions the curse word folks use when they do number 2 in the bathroom along with others was used. The respect I had for him as a manager quickly dwindled with each occurrence as I sat and wondered, 'is your vocabulary really that limited?' Were there any other words available that could convey the same meaning? Apparently, he did not seem to think so. So what did I do? Did I stop him in mid-sentence and yell COULD YOU PLEASE NOT USE THAT WORD? Or did I take him aside after the meeting and tell him what he said offended me? No. I could have, but I did not. Did I really want to risk him insulting me even more? I was already intimidated and feared retaliation. So, I did what I felt would be a safe approach- I sent him an email that went something like, "You may not be aware of this but when you use words like s***in your meetings, it really takes focus from your main point." Do you know what I got in return? I was shocked to even get a response.


Profanity In The Workplace - Is It Acceptable?

!99# Healthy Cooking For Kids Comparison Bose Wave Sound Systems

0 comments:

Post a Comment




Sponsor Links